Friday, September 14, 2012

Grocery Day

Today was my first day in the world of money saving couponista.  Glad I have Friday's off, I don't do mornings well and got a later start to my day than I wanted.  So, first, get an earlier start and second, use cash!

I had planned on taking pictures of my purchases, but had a little surprise come up...more on that later.

I started at Kroger with my list.  My list was split into three stores, Kroger, Meijer, and Aldi.  I had a list for each store and how much I planned on spending at each store.  This is  important.  I usually spend $150 on grocery day.  I decided I wanted to stay at $125.  I couldn't get my list below $140...so I went with it anyway.  

Today was about "stock piling" or as I prefer to call it, stocking up.  Getting all the things we use and shouldn't be running out of because you probably aren't going to get them on sale when you need them...

Bath tissue
Paper towels
Mayonaise
Ketchup
Mustard
etc...

That list got started today.  I spent $61 at Kroger with a $45 savings and $5 in Catalina coupons (good towards my next purchase) I had originally thought I would go back in and use them towards meat, decided I really needed to use the meat in my freezer which includes deer that has been in there a year now -  need room for this years meat.  Also have a lot of fish from fishing in the spring.  So I will use the Catalina coupon next week.

At Meijer (5 miles away) I spent $25, $18 less than I had planned.   Stocked up on shredded cheese, skipped the meat and have $10 in Catalina coupons for next week.  

Then to Aldi for mushrooms, peppers, and grapes all on sale.  Plus other items like milk (which would have been cheaper at Meijer, but I don't get a paper for the circulars yet).  

I spent $102.  There are things I didn't get like my husbands snack cakes for his lunch.  My youngest will just have to bake Sunday....how disappointing.  

I'm impressed with today.  Because I am shopping Kroger instead of Walmart, I had a little farther drive, but really only added 10-12 miles to my grocery day.  It took me maybe 30 minutes longer than usual, but I did go get Sax reeds for my daughter.

Why no pics and the surprise.
When the storm blew through here in June, our glass top table was destroyed....shattered the width of the yard pretty much.  The insurance covered it, but we decided a better roof was where the money should go (it got destroyed also)  There was a glass top table like our old one at the job my husband was working today.  The lady living there said my husband could have it if he would move a fridge for her....being Superman, I now have a replacement table, free.  That meant the groceries got taken home, shoved in the fridge so I could grab the truck and run back into town.  

Just thought I'd throw this out there.  My husband loves Mt Dew.  In order to save money, instead of dropping $1.25 every morning for a 20 oz (his attempt to cut back) he fills...ummm, I fill a 20 Mt Dew bottle with pop every morning.  Mellow Yellow is $1 for a 2 ltr and unless  you are a die hard or so totally brand loyal, it is a good substitute.  So for $3 a week, he gets his 20 oz bottle for the work day.  And those three 2 lts will fill more than 5 days.  Just one of the 100's of ways we are ultra frugal! 

Another quick bonus...when you shop at stores like Kroger and Meijer, you just feel classier.  I felt I needed to wear make up next week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment